Thursday, May 3, 2012

Graduate school doesn't guarantee anyone a job. Do it for the right reasons.

I have a bachelor's degree from Bemidji State University.  Although I have a double major in Criminal Justice and Psychology, the degree itself doesn't guarantee me a job.

Neither does graduate school.  In the news lately, more and more graduates are finding themselves disappointed that the supposed truth of graduate school guaranteeing them a job is all a myth.

There have been times when I've thought about going back to graduate school, but two things have held me back: first, I didn't have the money to do it, and I certainly wasn't going to take on more student loan debt; second, I didn't have a good enough reason to go to graduate school.  I've always wanted to be a writer, but having a Masters in Creative Writing never would've guaranteed me that my book would be published.  The only way I could control that is plain hard work over time.

There's nothing wrong with education, learning to expand your current knowledge base, and also nothing wrong with going to graduate school.  But do it for the right reasons.


No comments:

Post a Comment