Thursday, September 27, 2012

Correspondence With A Debt Collector (Part 2)

This is part 2 of the "Correspondence with a debt collector".  In part 1, our debtor, Joe Smith, is e-mailing A. S., Attoryney, regarding a Megabank debt of $2300 that he was brought to court on, and tried to settle for $1000.  Where we left off in part 1 is the attorney's re-settlement of a litle over $1600 and had until the end of the month (May 2012) to come up with the money.

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Dear A.,

I am revisiting this and am rejecting the settlement offer of
$1,605.62. Based on our current economic situation I am upping my
original offer slightly to $1,100.00 settlement in full. I am not
filling out any of your paperwork, but I am enclosing an excel
attachment which shows our current debt load and our current monthly
budget.


Keep in mind, the monthly budget is an estimate and at any
time my wife's cancer could relapse, which will result in more
medical bills and will throw everything out of whack.

If you'll note on the debt list, I cannot disclose the amount of
medical bills that have added up because it is an ongoing process
for us in negotiating those bills as well.

Please advise your approval of the offer at your earliest convenience.


Joe Smith

(Note: in this e-mail, an excel attachment was sent which showed his current debts
and their monthly budget)

 
Thursday, 31 May 2012

Joe,

I can approve your offer so long as payment is made today before 4pm.
You can call me to make payment, or make payment via our website
or by calling our office. Please email me confirmation once payment is made.


Thank you.

A. S., Attorney


Thursday, May 31, 2012

A.,

Wow, you gave me 1.5 hours to do this when I specifically told your
firm that I would be sending in a money order after the agreed amount
has been settled on. I appreciate the approval so that we both can get
on with our lives--I'm sure you have other bigger fish to fry. I don't
access this e-mail until at night when I am at home. I could get it ready

tomorrow to mail to you, but since you gave me until 4pm today,
I'll now have to wait until Monday to get it ready to mail.
And I will not do this electronically. That part is non-negioable.

Here is what I need from you. First, that the approval is to settle
this account in full, for the amount of $1,100. Second, I will need
your mailing address to send it to. Once these are fullfilled, the money
order (or actually, a cashier's check) will be sent out. No problems.

Thanks again, and appreciate your prompt response.


Joe Smith

Friday, 1 Jun 2012

Joe,

It is agreed that if you mail payment in the amount of $1100.00 on
Monday, June 4, 2012, to the address below, upon payment
clearing, our office will issue a satisfaction of judgment to the court
and provide a copy to you. This will be a settlement in full on the
account. Please make payment payable to A.S. ATTORNEY and note your file
number on the payment. Thank you.

A. S., Attorney

No comments:

Post a Comment