Tuesday, June 18, 2013

The hidden job description of a debt collector: to evoke and control your emotions

A debt collector called our house the other day, regarding one of my wife's credit cards that has been in default for a number of years.

(I must note here that my wife battled with leukemia two years ago, and was not feeling well in the years prior to this--not that we're proud of not paying a debt; we're not, and want to take care of it.  But only when we're able to do so; also, she is still in a long recovery from the after effects of her illness).

I was at work when this call came in and my wife contacted me afterwards, saying they could take away the house and all of our possessions.  I spent a great deal of energy calming her down, which only increased my heart rate.

I was pissed off!

The next day, when I was home, the butt-head collector calls again.  This time . . . he got me!  He gave me the same speech (I wish I had recorded it) and I told him he was a liar.  I even told him that our financial counsellor said that all collectors are trained liars--he asked who my financial counsellor was and I said it was Dave Ramsey (you know, the guy from Nashville who has helped millions of people get out of debt).  He had the nerve to ask who Dave Ramsey was!

Then, the guy went on a tirade again.  I ended up telling him off and gave him a true blue %&@# send-off.

A thought occurred to me afterwards.  He got a hold of my emotions.  Big time.  Not good.

If a collector calls and you honestly can't pay at that time, and are truly working on a plan, tell them you're working on it and hang up.

Don't let their tactics get the best of you.  Which is to control your emotions.

No comments:

Post a Comment