Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Debt limits what you are able to do

Having debt (in any amount) steals away from your income.  In return, it also steals away what you are able to do.

You are not able to give more.

You are not able to buy more.

You are not able to save more.

Even if circumstances arise and you find yourself in need of cash (a recent funeral you need to fly or drive to, for example) you may not be able to do this if you have debt.

Years ago, a friend's father passed away.  Even though I was much closer to where the funeral was, I was still not able to make the one and a half hour trek to go to it.  Why?  Because I had to work and we had debt.  The work was a second job, which I needed in order to keep up with our expenses (which debt was a large part of).  I felt bad for not being there.  His father was a great man.  I only bring this up now because the same friend had to travel the 6+ hours this past week to attend a funeral and I thought of how I wanted to be there at his father's funeral.

Having a sizeable amount of debt has affected our life dramatically.  It has hindered what we've been able to do and even save for.

If you're in debt, create a plan to get out of it.

If you're not in debt, create a plan to stay out of it.

And stick to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment